The Stz’uminus First Nation (formerly known as the Chemainus First Nation) has occupied lands surrounding Ladysmith Harbour and the Strait of Georgia since time immemorial.The Stz’uminus people had established villages in Kulleet Bay and Shell Beach on what is now Indian Reserve No. 13. They also occupied land near the Town of Chemainus (IR #11) and on the western shore of Ladysmith Harbour (IR#12). Those sites continue to be occupied by Stz’uminus members today. The Stz’uminus First Nation is currently comprised of four reserves, three of which are occupied. The fourth, IR #10, borders the Chemainus River and is landlocked and unoccupied. IR #12, although a traditional village site of the Nation, was not originally part of the Stz’uminus reserve lands. However, it was returned to the Nation in the 1990’s and what was once Ivy Green Provincial Park is now reserve land.
Of a total population of 1300 members, approximately half make their home on Stz’uminus reserve lands, with the greatest concentration on IR #13. Also located on IR #13 is the community hub, comprised of a Community Centre/Gymnasium, Health and Elders Centre, Daycare and, when completed in the late summer of 2011, the Stz’uminus Secondary School.
The Stz’uminus First Nation is a progressive and caring community, focused on improving the lives of all members. Through a variety of services, the Stz’uminus government looks to ensure the health and well being of members. These services include a full range of health care services, recreation opportunities, educational support, as well as employment counselling.
For more information on the programs and services of the Stz’uminus First Nation, please visit the specific program sites available on this web site