Stz’uminus First Nation is seeking:
EMERGENCY PROGRAM COORDINATOR
Stz’uminus First Nation is looking for an Emergency Program Coordinator. They areresponsible for the development, maintenance and implementation of the Stz’uminus FirstNation Emergency Program. The Emergency Program Coordinator is responsible for theongoing assessment of the program’s performance and progress working toward continued improvement and strengthening of the program to ensure an integrated, collaborative and cooperative approach. A key responsibility of the Coordinator is to ensure community preparation for potential toxic spills in our traditional fishing territory.
- ▪ Develops, under the direction of the Senior Community Manager, long-term strategies for the Emergency Program including risk management, emergency management committee coordination.
- ▪ Responsible for designing, developing and implementing all aspects of the Stz’uminusEmergency Program and ensures compliance with legislative requirements and in accordance with community needs.
- ▪ Responsible to develop or have developed the Stz’uminus plan for Communications,the Community Emergency Plan and the Fire Plan.
- ▪ Recruits volunteers.
- ▪ Manages day-to-day Emergency Program activities, including reviewing and monitoringgoals and objectives, facilities coordination, public information tracking and budget
- ▪ Designs, develops and facilitates emergency exercises and undertakes/coordinatestraining of Emergency Program staff and volunteers. Works closely with the Education Department to promote emergency preparedness and home safety.
- ▪ Oversees the Emergency Operations Centre, Emergency Social Services including Lodging, Community Recovery coordination, Local Emergency Response Neighbourhood Teams and responds to minor and major emergencies or disasters during working and non-working hours toprovide guidance and support, including working with the ESS and Community
Recovery staff and volunteers to oversee emergency response and recovery.
- ▪ Collaborates and plans with other emergency managers, responders, organizations andagencies to coordinate effective emergency preparedness, response, recovery and mitigation. This includes but is not limited to the CVRD, the Town of Ladysmith, Canadian Western Marine Response Corporation, the Coast Guard, EMBC and neighbouring First Nation communities.
- ▪ Leads, coordinates and oversees volunteers and volunteer recruitment.
- ▪ Maintains up to date contact lists in readiness for any emergency or disaster
- ▪ Promotes and facilitates public education and awareness of emergency preparednessand emergency service programs utilizing presentation methods appropriate to
- ▪ Works in the Emergency Operations Centre and the ESS Reception.
- ▪ Must be prepared to support other communities and First Nations during disasters withthe approval of the Senior Community Manager. This may require time away from the
- ▪ Performs other related duties and tasks as required.Qualifications:
▪ Emergency Management certification or higher (degree)Experience:
▪ Previous experience coordinating, developing and implementing an emergency program. Experience working in a disaster preferred.
- ▪ First Aid with CPR C – provided by the employer
- ▪ WHMIS certification – provided by the employer
- ▪ Valid Class 5 BC Drivers’ License – employee needs to have access to have owntransportation to carry out work assigned.
Skills & Abilities:
- ▪ Demonstrated ability to design, develop and implement an emergency program and emergency exercises.
- ▪ Strong demonstrated abilities in the areas of facilitation, project management and crisis management.
- ▪ Ability to respond to emergencies and work at varying hours to meet operational requirements, including evenings and weekends. Must be able to work long hours under stressful conditions such as emergency situations.
- ▪ Effective interpersonal communication (verbal and written), problem solving, conflict resolution, presentation and customer service skills.
- ▪ Ability to set priorities, perform duties with minimal supervision, and work in a confidential manner.
- ▪ Proficient computer skills, including Microsoft Office programs i.e. Outlook, Work, Excel, PowerPoint & Access.How to Apply:
- ▪ Application packages should be sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
- ▪ Application packages should include a cover letter, resume and 2 workrelated references
- ▪ Applications will be accepted up until Tuesday, January 8 2019